015 - How to Get That Kid That Never Talks to Speak Up
Episode 15 | Join us as we talk about How to Get That Kid That Never Talks to Speak Up. In this episode we talk through ideas on how to create a culture in your small group that allow all students to speak up and encourages even introverted or unengaged students to add to the conversation.
The Youth Ministry Podcast for Volunteers | There are a lot of great youth ministry podcasts out there, but not many focus only on volunteers. The Youth Ministry Podcast for Volunteers is all about providing great content to help volunteers who work with teenagers. Each episode is short and to the point on topics about how to best impact teenagers with the gospel. Each episode will be hosted by a couple youth ministry vets that have been working with teenagers for over 30 years. If you love working with teenagers, you're going to love this podcast!
As a reminder, our 6 Ideas on how to How to get that kid that talks too much to be quiet
1. Remember the goal is not to change an introvert into an extrovert, but create an environment where they will speak up
2. Talk with the parents… not to get the kid in trouble, but to gain insight
3. Talk to the kid who is quiet “one on one” first. Relationship
4. When asking a question, don’t be afraid of silence.
5. Take advantage of teaching methods: 1. Hand out a sheet of paper and get everyone to answer 2. give them multiple choice questions and ask them to unpack that 3. talk with a partner OR Some questions should be easy, anyone can answer, questions
After listening to this episode, would you say your group is pretty good at handling these situations or do you need some improvement?
Of the 6 ideas, what is one you think you could implement pretty easily?
How do you typically handle getting a kid to speak up and feel comfortable in your group?
Are there other things you’ve done that you’ve found helpful in getting students to speak up?
What stood out most from this episode?
You can reach Chris & the team at https://gabaptist.org/nextgen
We would LOVE to hear from you! Email us at YouthMinistryPodcast@GaBaptist.org to share show ideas or give us feedback.